I have spent the last near eight months worrying and at times obsessing over my “pregnancy weight gain.” Around month 4, I came to grips with the realization that I was going to gain weight, and a fair bit of it too. Through it all, I always tried to stay mindful of my friends’ pregnancy advice, “it is easier to keep it off, than to loose it later.” Now that I am nearing the end I have some advice too… If you eat like a gluttonous pig, you will be a gluttonous pig! I’m sorry I know that sounds off for me, the all accepting and understanding, but there is a fine, no fat line, between healthy eating and gluttonous unhealthy take-advantage-of-your-pregnancy eating, and then acting all confused and crying about it.
I realize that some cravings are your body saying "we need this," and some cravings are your ass saying, "mmmmm, I totally would love to eat that!" Now, I just ask myself, "is it healthy and beneficial in any way shape or form or not?" Don’t get me wrong, I have definitely given into my cravings…. Dairy Queen Blizzards, french fries, large sweet teas from McDonalds (I love those damn things and will not give them up. I now get half sweet half regular to cut some of the sugar out.) everything bagels with cream cheese, pizza, nachos… It all still boils down to everything in moderation.
The choice is up to me…eat a low fat yogurt instead of a big bowl of ice cream, baked Chips instead of fried, Low fat cheese and crackers instead of nachos…. Sometimes I choose the later, but I try not to give into the next craving… If I give into every other craving, at the most, I will be half the chub right?
- Just say NO! If the craving is just plain unhealthy and crazy, I try to avoid giving into it… until I am ready to kill someone for Tumbleweed Queso! That is how I decipher if the craving is fleeting or full-on. If low fat cheese and crackers will keep me from attacking the cheese dip, crisis adverted. If after I eat, I still want the Queso, I tell myself tomorrow. If I still want it tomorrow, I get a small order and enjoy it guiltless.
- Everything in moderation- You absolutely have to give in, reward yourself and enjoy food, just not 4 plates of it.
- Eat the size you want to be-I have used this since high school. If you want to wear a size small… order a size small.
- Enjoy every freaking bite-Savor each bite… when you stop savoring it, put it away for later…
- Create a Mantra to stay accountable- “It is easier to keep it off now, than to loose it later.” “Good choices go to my baby, bad choices go to my butt.”
- Keep healthy snacks close by- Whatever that may be… I know there are preggies out there that loved fruit and veggies before pregnancy but cannot even look at them now… so get baked crackers and chips, “100 calorie packs,” low fat pudding. There is something out there for every craving… you just have to look for it.
- Don’t set yourself up for failure-Pregnant or not, it is most important that you set realistic attainable goals. I would love to walk a mile a day and only eat healthy low fat snacks and meals… not gonna happen, no freaking way! I park far away from the door and take the stairs when available. I, as a rule, have no more than one naughty choice a day. Some days that is the very best I can do. Always keep in mind, one day at a time. Don’t let yesterday ruin today, move on…